[Distutils] Question re: workingenv.py and cli.exe

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jan 16 16:16:52 CET 2007

At 09:59 AM 1/16/2007 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Jos Yule wrote:
> > I didn't know where else to address this - is there a mailing list or
> > group which would be better suited to this email?
>
>The distutils-sig group (copied) might be good.  Especially when I'm
>unsure of the answer like now ;)
>
> > First - thanks for workingenv! Very helpful.
> >
> > I've run into a bug when using it to install Pylons on a WinXP box,
> > using easy_install.exe.
> >
> > When doing a "easy_install Pylons", after creating a new workingenv and
> > activating it, it gets hung up on a missing cli.exe from "<workingenv
> > dir>/lib/python2.4/setuptools", which on my computer is simply a
> > "__init__.py" and "__init__.pyc" file. I've copied the cli.exe from
> > "<workingenv dir>/\lib\python2.4\setuptools-0.6c5-py2.4.egg\setuptools".
> >
> > Anyway, it still seems to work, this is more of an FYI.
>
>Hi Jos.  I'm not really sure what cli.exe is, but then I don't really
>use Windows.

cli.exe and gui.exe are the files setuptools uses to generate command-line
and GUI script wrappers on Windows.  easy_install.exe, for example, is just
a copy of cli.exe.

The way these files work is that they figure out what name they were
invoked under, and then they find the adjacent corresponding .py file (e.g.
easy_install-script.py), and run it, using the information in the #! line.

Anyway, setuptools needs to have the .exe files in order to do this.