[Distutils] Package name != filename, and: Python version information

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Feb 23 23:46:00 CET 2007

At 11:04 PM 2/23/2007 +0100, Samuel Abels wrote:
>On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 16:54 -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> source
> > >
> > >I am still unsure; does this mean that there is no way for uploading
> > >packages whose name have a space in them to PyPi?
> >
> > Did you try "setup.py sdist upload"?  I don't know if PyPI restricts
> > filenames or not.
>
>Well, the file is made available (with the whitespace character
>included), but things like the Cheesecake service (and, according to the
>Cheesecake service, easy_install) won't work.

Have you actually tried easy_install on it?  You will need to include quote
marks on your command line, but it should work nonetheless.  If that
doesn't work, it's an easy_install bug; please send what you typed and the
full easy_install output.  But if it *does* work, then it's a Cheesecake
bug that it says it doesn't work.  :)

>Will there be a way to change the filename in future releases?

I don't have any plans to do so, no.