[Distutils] Buildout: Recipes with extras

Thomas Lotze thomas at thomas-lotze.de
Sat Feb 17 01:01:46 CET 2007

Am Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:40:36 -0500 schrieb Phillip J. Eby:

> Distributions required by entry points aren't automatically installed;

I see.

> the
> code loading the entry point has to pass an 'installer' function to the
> zc.buildout doesn't do this.

But neither does easy_install if I got this right: It's possible to
install a distribution without its extra dependencies so that this
distribution's scripts which need an extra fail when run. Why does
easy_install install these scripts at all when it is to install the
distribution without the respective necessary extras?

> It won't offer all the bells-and-whistles of easy_install, but that's
> actually an advantage for this use case, methinks.

I wonder why all of the easy_install functionality isn't formulated as a
package that others, including zc.buildout and your setuptools 0.7
installer function, can use. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is that
I should read some more of the sources, though ;o)

--
Viele Grüße,
Thomas