[Distutils] trouble making egg...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sun Aug 12 22:59:41 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I've always built my python packages as a folder, with a __init__.py,
any other python bits and then the miscellany (readme.txt, etc) in the
same folder.

For distributions, I've historically tarred up the folder and put it up
to download with installation instructions to just untar somewhere on
the python path.

However, I'd now like to distribute one of my products as an egg, and so
thought I'd use setuptools to build the source distros as well.

The package is mailinglogger and you can see the svn trunk here:

https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/mailinglogger/trunk/

The setup.py there is wrong in that the egg is builds only contains the
'tests' subpackage and none of the other modules, and no mailinglogger
package to boot.

Given the component.xml in there, I'm pretty sure I need to add a
zip_safe=True, but what else do I need to do to get setup.py to
correctly build an egg and a source distro?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk