[Distutils] How can I get setuptools to include files beyond what find_packages() finds?

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Thu Aug 2 18:11:06 CEST 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
>Stanley A. Klein wrote:
>> Robert Kern wrote:

>>> I'd like to help, but if you don't copy the exact error message here, I
>> can't.
>>
>> OK, here is my revised numpy/distutils/commands/bdist_rpm.py (trying --
>> obviously not well -- to follow what was done in
>> numpy/distutils/commands/install.py:
>>
>> import os
>> import sys
>>
>> if 'setuptools' in sys.modules:
>>     import setuptools.command.bdist_rpm as old_bdist_rpm
>>     class bdist_rpm(old_bdist_rpm):
>>         pass
>>
>> else:
>>     from distutils.command.bdist_rpm import bdist_rpm as old_bdist_rpm
>
>Note the difference between these two lines. You imported a module, not the
>class inside it. Try this instead:
>
>if 'setuptools' in sys.modules:
>    from setuptools.command.bdist_rpm import bdist_rpm as old_bdist_rpm
>else:
>    from distutils.command.bdist_rpm import bdist_rpm as old_bdist_rpm

Thanks.

I tried it and it ran.

I'm still having problems getting things to work, but as you can see from
my previous email I've closed in on the issues, that now appear to involve
the packaging of documentation, tests, and examples, and the handling of
the namespace package __init__.py.

Right now, I think my problems involve svn, relating to my moving the
tests and examples to a different directory but somehow (probably because
setuptools looks at svn information) having files I moved out of the
enthought.kiva directory still in the build and creating problems, or
files not in the current version expected for the build and found missing.

I didn't follow proper svn procedure in moving files out, and I think that
is coming back to bite me, although what I did seemed to work with another
component.  My best bet at this point is to re-checkout the
enthought.branches directory and do it right from an svn viewpoint.

Stan Klein