[Distutils] How to prevent some .egg-info files being "touched" during a build/install process

Venkat Bommakanti venkatbo at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 20:00:21 CEST 2007

Hi folks,

I have an app that I'm using setuptools to
build/install. During the build process (I think), it
"touches" the following files:
  myapp/src/app/app.egg-info/PKG-INFO
  myapp/src/app/app.egg-info/SOURCES.txt
  myapp/src/app/app.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
  myapp/src/app/app.egg-info/requires.txt
  myapp/src/app/app.egg-info/top_level.txt
even though none of the files in the app were
modified.
As a result the source control system thinks there are
new versions of these files. THough they are not
marked changed by the source control system, the fact
that they are being flagged as being "tocuhed" is
causing confusion amongst folks in my team unrelated
to my comp - when they see that their changes
elsewhere - is affecting my comp.

Since these files are deployed as part of the install
step, looks like they have to be included under source
control. Is there a way to ask setuptools to not
"touch" these files if nothing underlying has changed.

I can understand SOURCES.txt would have to change when
a new source file is added or an old one removed, but
others in the above list pretty much remain the same
within a given release.

Thanks for the help,
/venkat