[Distutils] problem finding an entry point

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Sep 1 22:36:00 CEST 2006

At 03:26 PM 9/1/2006 -0400, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>We've got a custom packaging setup that I'm trying to integrate a Nose
>plugin into. I'm using a single-version-externally-managed setup. Our
>packaging setup uses symlinks to link from a package area on disk to
>/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages. Running "python" from the
>command line shows the libraries coming from the package area, not
>/usr/local...
>
>For some reason, if I explicitly set my PYTHONPATH environment
>variable to include the /usr/local... directory it can find my plugin.
>If I don't set it, it can't find the plugin. (pkg_resources.require()
>can find my package and is able to confirm that the entry point is
>there...)

I think you're going to need to be more specific here.  I'm not clear on
what is being found when, by what.  I'm also not clear what is being
symlinked where.

>While I have things working with the PYTHONPATH, I'd like to not have
>that requirement... any ideas what might keep this from working
>normally?

It's probably something to do with the symlinks, though it's hard to say
what, exactly.  pkg_resources contains some realpath() calls, but I'm not
sure how they come into play in this scenario.  More details, please.