[Distutils] should I use distutils for a gnome-applet?

Jorge Vargas jorge.vargas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 14:40:05 CET 2006

On 11/13/06, Nathan R. Yergler <nathan at yergler.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 10:08 +0000, Jorge Vargas wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > I though zc goal was to build zope apps, on the other hand how much of
> > a footprint do you actually need for ac.buildout package? do you need
> > to distribute the whole package bungle with the install?
>
> Well I think that Zope Corp's goal for zc.buildout is to build Zope
> application installations (although I don't speak for them of course),
> but zc.buildout uses the idea of "recipes" for performing parts of an
> buildout.  And these may or may not involve Zope.  For example, I'm
> using it to deploy a CherryPy-based web app using the provided
> zc.recipe.egg to install the application egg, its dependencies and
> exported scripts.
yes I read a bit about it and the recipe seems like a simple ini-based
config file.

>  Keep in mind that my goal may be a little different
> than yours -- I want to be able to easily deploy on a server in a
> self-contained directory without mucking with the system site-packages.

which is exactly the opposite here gnome apps demand you put certain
files (bonobo server fle, gconf schema,etc) at certain places so gnome
desktop can load them.

> So while I love zc.buildout, if you have a Makefile working, is there
> something specific you're trying to improve by moving to
> distutils/setuptools/zc.buildout/etc ?
in the first place I didn't want to write the Makefile, and since this
is python the logical thing will be to use distutils to create python
packages, other then that .. nothing.