[Distutils] -U --always-unzip won't replace zipped install

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue May 2 17:39:51 CEST 2006

At 11:33 AM 5/2/2006 +0100, John J Lee wrote:
>Subject line nearly sums it up, I guess:  if I easy_install something and
>get a zipped egg installed, then decide I wanted in unzipped:
>
>easy_install -U -f --always-unzip
>"http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pyexcelerator/pyexcelerator-0.6.3a.zip?download"
>pyExcelerator
>Best match: pyexcelerator 0.6.3a
>Processing pyexcelerator-0.6.3a-py2.4.egg
>pyexcelerator 0.6.3a is already the active version in easy-install.pth
>
>Using c:\python24\lib\site-packages\pyexcelerator-0.6.3a-py2.4.egg
>Processing dependencies for pyExcelerator
>

>...I end up the zip still there, and no unzipped install.  Would be nice
>if it were to replace it with an unzipped install.
>
>Or is there some other way to ask for that?

At the moment, there is no well-defined rule for which package easy_install
will choose to use when you already have the "latest" version installed.  I
do intend to remedy this soon, but in the meantime, removing the existing
egg or specifying a precise URL or filename to install ("easy_install -U
/path/or/url/to/some.egg") will do the trick.  (i.e., the ambiguity only
occurs when you're asking for it to figure out what version to install.)