[Distutils] setup.py test doesn't honor --find-links

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 15 17:36:39 CET 2006

At 10:23 AM 3/14/2006 -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:

>Can we extend the test command (deriving from easy_install, I guess,
>instead of Command), to take the same options it does?

I don't think that approach is a good idea, as it's more complex and isn't
orthogonal to other setuptools features that install eggs for build
purposes (e.g. setup_requires).  It would probably be better to implement
the "dependency_links" feature described here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2005-October/005209.html

and make it be used by the setuptools.dist.Distribution class's
"fetch_build_egg()" method, which is used for both setup_requires and
tests_require.

I've left that feature open for a while in the hopes that it would provide
some enterprising soul with an easy project to learn about extending
setuptools, as it's mostly pretty shallow to implement.  The only part such
an enterprising party might need help with is the bit that touches
easy_install; the rest should be a matter of just copying existing entry
points defined in setuptools' setup.py.