[Distutils] Weird PyPI Behavior

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jun 28 23:16:00 CEST 2006

On Jun 28, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 04:46 PM 6/28/2006 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> If I do something like:
>>
>>    python2.4 setup.py register bdist_egg upload
>>
>> as recommended in the setuptools documentation, I end up  with 2
>> "releases" in PyPi.  One has all my descriptive information and the
>> other has the egg.
>
> I've never seen this behavior myself, but I would guess that
> "register" and "upload" are disagreeing about the package version
> number, perhaps due to you having --tag-svn-revision set on your
> egg_info command for the bdist_egg.

Interesting.  I thought that --tag-svn-revision was a common/recommended
practice.  I followed the advice to have a setup.cfg like:

[egg_info]
tag_build = .dev
tag_svn_revision = 1

But I noticed that the release with the meta data didn't have the
subversion information or the .dev tag, which is consistent with
register not being aware of the extra information.

Is this a bug? :)

If it isn't, then I recommend that you either stop recommending  that
people use setup.cfg this way or stop recommending that they upload
their files to PyPI.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org