[Distutils] setuptools 0.6b2 released

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jun 1 17:56:08 CEST 2006

This is a bugfix release to fix a few issues with 0.6b1.  Please upgrade
and test if you can, I'd like to release an 0.6 final soon.  There are
still a couple of known minor issues that I haven't addressed yet (error
messages from ez_setup/easy_isntall reported here by Nathan Yergler), but I
wanted to get this intermediate release out because of one serious bug that
affects you if you install a package whose name begins with the word
"import" on Windows -- e.g., my own "Importing" package, published recently
on PyPI.

Anyway, the next release of 0.6 should be a release candidate, so please
beat on this one hard to find any remaining bugs.  I'd like to get started
on 0.7 (and the "nest" tool suite) as soon as practical.

(By the way: setuptools 0.6 is probably not going in the 2.5 stdlib; after
lots of discussion on Python-Dev, it's fairly clear that some 0.7 release
should be the earliest version to go in, once the "nest" tools are
done.  Practically speaking, that probably means waiting until Python 2.6,
due to the lead time that would be needed to get adequate field testing of
the "nest" tools once they're written.)