[Distutils] [setuptools] setuptools and fat binaries

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jan 4 21:51:44 CET 2006

Hi,

Apple supports fat binaries on Mac OS X (they call them universal
binaries), that is binaries that contain executable code for multiple
architectures. In released version of the os this can be used to
build binaries and libraries that support both PPC and PPC64
architectures, which isn't used very much, and in the future this
will be the mechanism to support both the current PPC based systems
and the to-be-introduced intel systems with a single binary.

I'm currently playing around with Python on an Intel developer system
(my goal is a patch that will make it easy to build a fat/universal
build of Python on Mac OS X), and I wondering how setuptools (and
specifically eggs) can support universal binaries. The reason I ask
is because of eggs that contain extensions, whose name contains the
architecture, such as aem-0.10.0-py2.4-macosx-10.4-ppc.egg. Just
using two eggs, one for each architecture, would work but seems
wasteful and would make it harder to create self fat application
bundles.

Ronald