[Distutils] prefix in bdist_rpm

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Feb 23 18:37:27 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 23:23 -0800, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2006, at 10:55 PM, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > Including "home"?
>
> Sure.  Such values are infinitely valuable if a user has to convince
> distutils to do something strange for whatever reason.  Maybe they
> have several "home" dirs (local, workgroup, etc.) and they want to
> choose one in particular for this installation.

I see.  So, you are suggesting that some options in setup.cfg are for
end users rather than for developers doing releases.  So, even if the
software is a wrapper about another software that installs in $HOME by
default, it should still default to the Python directory.

Apparently, distutils is good at allowing to do "something strange", but
not something I want.

> You misunderstand how distutils works, especially its config files.
> These configuration files have an unlimited number of valid options.
> Whether an option is valid or not in a particular section depends on
> which distutils commands are available.  The configuration parser
> knows nothing about the semantics of the configuration options, and
> the commands know nothing about the particular source of the value
> (command line, setup.py, one of several config files, etc.).

How hard would it be for bdist_rpm to report an error if "prefix",
"exec-prefix" or "home" is found in the "install" section?  Probably not
hard?

But if that's not hard, could bdist_rpm simply ignore those values
instead?  Probably even easier.  The only thing that is needed is to set
them to given values in the %install section of the specfile.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin