[Distutils] prefix in bdist_rpm

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Feb 21 03:32:00 CET 2006

Hello!

StGIT (http://www.procode.org/stgit/) has following setup.cfg:

[install]
prefix: ~

The purpose of this is to install StGIT in the home directory, so that
no root permissions are required.  Unfortunately, this setting also
affects bdist_rpm - the package would installs all files in the home
directory or the user who created it.

I don't see any way to fix it in setup.cfg.  There is no "prefix" option
in the bdist_rpm section.  --prefix is not passed to "setup.py install"
in the specfile.  The only option passed to "setup.py install" is
--root, but setting root instead of prefix in the install section causes
plain "setup.py install" to install files in ~/usr, which is not
acceptable.

I also tried the "home" option, and it works fine for the plain user
install, but not in the specfile, since --root doesn't override it.
Perhaps it should!

I was using distutils shipped with Fedora development (python 2.4.2),
but I see the same code in the latest release of distutils, version
1.0.2 available from http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/

I tried to download distutils from CVS as documented at
http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/cvs.html, but CVS was not
working.  I understand that Python is not using SF.net CVS anymore, so
that page needs updating.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin