[Distutils] setuptools requiring itself to run... thus not running

Jeff Pitman jeff.pitman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 08:33:50 CET 2006

On 2/8/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> I'm really curious how this particular Python got built, such that it
> thinks /usr/lib64 is the place where this stuff goes.

I think Fedora on AMD 64 has special issues with things going into
/usr/lib64 vs. /usr/lib. I don't have one myself, I can only speak
from messages that have been posted and also recommended packaging
"policies" for the AMD 64 platform.

32-bit is normally:

>>> from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages
>>> from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib(1)
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages

64-bit turns out to be something like this (cannot guarantee, but similar):

>>> from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages
>>> from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib(1)
/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages

--
-jeff