[Distutils] API for finding plugins

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Feb 9 13:15:35 CET 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> I recently started work on adding egg support to Chandler (
> http://chandler.osafoundation.org/ ), and ran into some interesting issues
> with respect to plugin discovery.  Specifically, it's not easy to do it
> well with the APIs that pkg_resources currently offers.  I suspect that
> others who've worked on plugin loading for application environments like
> Zope and Trac have probably run into similar issues.
>
> I'm proposing, therefore, to add a new API to pkg_resources to make
> plugin-finding easier.  Among the requirements:

I don't fully understand the goal here.  From later discussion, I think
you envision a model where people drop eggs into some directory and an
application should be able to analyze this directory to determine
which ones to use, meaning which to include in some working set.
In addition to automatically determining the working
set, the application should be able to find the entry points in that
working set.

Does that capture what you want to do?

Jim