[Distutils] warnings while merging eggs with namespace packages

Bryce Hendrix bhendrix at enthought.com
Tue Dec 12 20:18:17 CET 2006

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, I thought it had been,
but I can't find it on the list now...

We've been trying to switch our python distribution over to eggs, but
when importing multiple eggs that share the same base namespace, we get
tons of warnings "Module %s was already imported from %, but %s is being
added to sys.path." I can see where this might be a valid message, so I
don't want to filter it out always, but bombarding the user with 40
duplicate warnings when they just start up the interpreter is not
acceptable either. Ideally, we'd get this message one time per
namespace. Are there any suggestions as how we could implement this
behavior? Is this grounds for a feature request?

Thanks,
Bryce