[Distutils] SetupTools: What Files Were Installed?

Alexander Michael lxander.m at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 15:43:50 CET 2006

Currently, I am easy_install'ing with --record=FILENAME set to save
the list of installed filenames in a known location so that I can
later visit it to determine what needs to be removed in order to
uninstall the package.  It would be nice to reduce the footprint on
the filesystem by not leaving this trace, but is it possible or even a
good idea?

Is there a re-usable bit of the SetupTools internals that would allow
me to recreate the contents of this file dynamically on-demand without
reinstalling?

If not, then in the simple packages that I have been working with,
there are two things that need to be found a deleted:

1) The egg file or directory in site-packages.
2) Any console or GUI scripts in the Scripts/bin directory.

I can find the egg file or directory by looking at
pkg_resources.Distribution.location, but how to find the scripts? What
about a non-default script location setting?

Again, maybe it is not even a good idea to attempt to avoid
--record=FILENAME. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex