[Distutils] py2app + setuptools-0.6a9 = *poof*

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Apr 12 21:24:13 CEST 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 11:58 AM, Matthew Bogosian wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2006, at 10:50 , Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> On Apr 12, 2006, at 12:32 AM, Matthew Bogosian wrote:
>>
>>> My apologies in advance if this has already been covered, but I am
>>> very confused by the interaction between py2app and setuptools.
>>
>> They're more or less completely incompatible at this point.
>> py2app 0.2.x has no idea what setuptools is, the next major
>> version will be dependent on setuptools (and probably also Python
>> 2.4).
>
> Not to sound irreverent or impatient, but do you have any idea when
> the next major version will be available? (I understand that
> putting food on the table takes precedence.)

It'll be available when I get around to it.. which is some completely
indeterminate amount of time.  I'm not currently working on anything
related to Mac OS X specifically at this time, so I'm not in a hurry.

For the most part, eggs are a better solution than bdist_mpkg anyway
(except for peripheral stuff like docs, applications, and examples).
When I do get around to working on py2app's next major version, my
focus will be to support the building of applications.  bdist_mpkg is
mostly obsolete in a setuptools world.

-bob