[Distutils] Improving distutils' script and GUI app handling

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Sep 23 15:07:54 CEST 2005

Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/17/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>> However, after reflection, I think now that -m probably only really makes
>> sense for stdlib modules, since projects using setuptools can now get all
>> the benefits of -m without any of the drawbacks, without even writing any
>> __name__=='__main__' code.
>
> One thing you get with -m is that the module doesn't have to be on
> PATH. Where does setuptools install its wrapper executables? (The
> usual \Python24\Scripts directory isn't added to PATH by the
> installer).
>
> I know, I'm nitpicking. Sorry :-)

No, you're not. IMO.  setuptools installs them in PythonXY\Scripts.

BTW: Shouldn't 'setup.py develop --uninstall' remove them again? It
doesn't.

And yet another question: How should my setup-script start? Is this the
correct way:

"""
from ez_setup import use_setuptools
use_setuptools()

from distutils.core import setup
"""

I'm considering to finally use setuptools in the comtypes setup script.

Thomas