[Distutils] setuptools 0.6a2 released

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Sep 18 06:47:20 CEST 2005

It generates console scripts and .exe wrappers.

I decided not to implement find_package_data(), because it turned out to be
a lot more complex than I thought it would be.  In fact, it was complex
enough that I was wondering if I might need to rewrite the entire distutils
in order to make it work well.  :(

Anyway, 0.6a2 is out, so enjoy.  I'd be interested in hearing feedback on
how the GUI wrappers should be done.  I've already figured out how to
compile a launcher variant that doesn't create a console window on Windows,
so that part's easy.  I guess we can always add fancy features for Mac et
al later.

One thing I'm not too sure about for GUIs on non-Windows platforms is the
whole detach or not-to-detach thing.  On Windows, I was planning to make
GUIs run detached from the current console, but I'm not sure if that's the
"normal" thing to do on other platforms.