[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Vincenzo Di Massa hawk78_it at yahoo.it
Fri Nov 25 15:09:13 CET 2005

Alle 14:23, venerdì 25 novembre 2005, Donovan Baarda ha scritto:
> The phrase "run-time dependency checking" in the first post disturbs me
> in a not-really-related-to-this-discussion way. It feels wrong; surely
> dependency checking should be done at install time?

We are talking about unpackaged modules laying in your home.
Installation time (from the Debian Point Of View) never occurs to this
software.
That is why for unpackaged software (there are python suppoerted platforms
where software is always unpackaged) you need run-time dependency checking.

> Perhaps my perspective is distorted by Debian's excellent install-time
> dependency checking...
>
> The only reasons I can see to do run-time dependency checking is to
> continue to operate in a degraded mode when an optional dependency is
> not available.

Or when you use software that depends (like TG as of today) on not packaged
modules. I know one should only use software in debs, but if one wants to use
unpackaged softwre, I think Debian could give him the tools to do this
without interfering with the Debian installed filesystem. Right?

> I hope like hell egg's don't do run-time dependency installation... that
> would be really bad. Installing is a privileged operation. Running is
> not.

The problem are not eggs: they don't download anything. The problem is in the
"egg runtime" and in particular in easy_install. Eggs just tell (have
metadata describing) what deps they need to work, it is up to an external
tool to install them.

Vincenzo