[Distutils] setuptools: .egg-info/ and PKG-INFO

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 4 21:31:56 CET 2005

At 02:19 PM 11/4/2005 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>FYI, I'm already putting my own custom files in the .egg-info/
>directory.  And sqlobject-admin now looks for a sqlobject.txt file in the
>egg metadata, which it uses to find the SQLObject subclasses in the
>project (and a couple other things).  These could all possibly be moved to
>entry points, but treating them as simple configuration files has so far
>seemed easier to manage.

Not everything has to be an entry point.  But if it's configuration that's
easier to express in Python code, or if you prefer to put everything in the
setup script (as I usually do), then you can define an "egg_info writer"
entry point and a "setup keyword" entry point in a parent project (e.g.
SQLObject itself), and then projects using SQLObject can do
setup_requires="SQLObject" and then define the other metadata using keyword
arguments.  Most of the existing .egg-info files are written in exactly
this way, including install_requires and entry_points.