[Distutils] EasyInstall: SF installs

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon May 30 05:40:55 CEST 2005

At 08:45 PM 5/29/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Attached is a patch so it can install from Sourceforge Download pages,
>choosing a random mirror.

Yay!

I've incorporated more or less the same patch, after an unsuccesful
experiment trying to pull the 'refresh:' from the HTTP headers.  (Firefox
showed it in the "View Page Info", so I thought it was there, and in fact
it is only in the HTML.  Oh well.)

So, have you changed your opinion at all about the value of screenscraping
as a way to build a Python package tool?  I notice you've sent two patches
today that apply regexes to HTML.  :)

I am a *little* concerned about the sourceforge support, given that they
could change their download system any time, and if easy_install is
distributed with Python that might make it harder to upgrade.  But, at
least people have the option of subclassing.