[Distutils] FYI: EasyInstall 0.4a2 with scripts and 'ez_setup' bootstrapper

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jun 13 00:15:57 CEST 2005

Just a heads-up for any early adopters...  I've released EasyInstall 0.4a2,
with support for installing scripts, and a new 'ez_setup.py' script/module
that you can use to install setuptools.  Plus, you can include it in a
package that needs setuptools, and it will automatically download
setuptools for you, for use during your installation procedure.  (It won't
actually *install* setuptools on the user's system in that mode, however;
I'll tackle that in a later release.  Also, see the script's docstrings for
instructions on integrating it with your setup script.)

If you've been embedding easy_install facilities in another program or
setup script, be aware that the embedding interface changed dramatically in
this release due to the distutils integration, but it should be
comparatively stable from here on out.

Also, the installation procedure for easy_install has changed; be sure to
consult the updated documentation at:

     http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

Please help me test this new version; it is a *major* upgrade and
refactoring compared to the last release.  I tried a variety of scenarios,
but I don't yet have any automated regression tests for many of its features.