[Distutils] py2app and eggs part deux

Kevin Dangoor dangoor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 05:18:46 CEST 2005

On 7/12/05, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
> The most expedient option would be to specify the eggs and a pth as
> resources (or data_files) manually.
>
> Second to that, you could make sure all the eggs are unzipped and on
> sys.path when the setup.py is running (this doesn't solve the
> resources thing, but modulegraph doesn't do that anyway).
>
> As far as fixing the implementation, I don't know.. I don't really
> have time to work on open source Python stuff right now.  Patches
> accepted, of course.

That's why I was asking about complexity... I'm considering digging in
myself, but I haven't touched py2app's code before.

I was all in favor of the most expedient option that you mention
above. However, the problem that I ran into was that standard library
modules that were needed by the eggs weren't getting picked up (since
the eggs were just "data files"). If there is an easy way to run
modulegraph on the eggs, then maybe a short-term solution is:

- add an option to specify required eggs (using the setuptools syntax,
ie "FooBar >= 27.2")
- grab these eggs and drop them into the generated site-packages dir
with a pth file
- scan them for any modules they need and add those to the overall
dependency graph (this is where I'm fuzziest on the difficulty level)

So, really... the main problem to solve is finding out what is
required by the modules in a given egg.

Kevin