[Distutils] [setuptools] Keeping up with SVN (was: Re: setup.py develop inaccurate...)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Dec 18 17:42:57 CET 2005

At 02:52 PM 12/18/2005 +0000, John J Lee wrote:
>Do other people work with multi-egg projects (that don't necessarily share
>a single version control root), and want to make it possible for people to
>keep up with version control without updating multiple SVN checkouts by
>hand (and without doing multiple checkouts)?  SVN in particular.  I know
>one can always just write a simple script to do this kind of thing, but
>multiple platforms, changing dependencies, mucking around with PYTHONPATH
>or .pth files etc. make it less simple, which makes setuptools attractive.

After giving it some more thought, I think having a 'nest update --develop'
command might be the way to do this, assuming that 'nest update' ends up
being a tool to check whether there are any updated versions of stuff you
have installed.  The --develop would tell it to only update all the SVN or
CVS checkouts referenced by egg-links, and rerun "develop" on all of them
afterwards.  (As opposed to doing that and then updating any eggs too.)

Anyway, "nest" won't appear until the 0.7 series starts, but this would
probably be a cleaner way to implement the feature than hacking the normal
easy_install process to incorporate it.