[Distutils] local development scenarios

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Dec 9 15:27:53 CET 2005

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Todd Greenwood-Geer wrote:
[...]
> the setup.py for the given egg. So the question is, given that my
> friend/client is receiving eggs, how can they perform the equivalent of
> '$python setup.py test'? Currently, I have suggested that they unzip the
> egg and run the unittests dirctly from the unzipped files...something
> like this:
>
> - unzip foo.egg
> - cd foo
> - python src/foo/unittest.py
[...]

1. To avoid confusion, rename your module unittest so as not to have the
same name as Python stdlib module unittest (don't call it 'test' either,
for the same reason -- module test contains *Python's* unittests;
personally I find it unfortunate that standard Python comes with a module
named 'test', but there it is).  Let's say you call it 'tests'.

2. Make module tests importable from your own package, so one can do:

from mypkg import tests

3. Use setuptools to provide a script that imports and runs module tests
direct from the egg.

John