[Distutils] svn tagging setuptools command

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Aug 29 19:01:34 CEST 2005

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
>>>If packages listed in setup_requires had extra commands loaded, that
>>>would work fine.
>>

>>Personally, I think the simple way to deal with this is to package
>>distutils extensions as  separate packages; e.g. SQLObjectSetup or some
>>such.
>

> Is there a way to force packages to be installed multiversion (from the
> package metadata itself)?  I'm fine putting it in a seperate package,
> but I don't want to require people to install that package in a special
> way -- especially since it's kind of hard to do with easy_install
> anyway, when a requirement is installed implicitly.  Maybe something in
> setup.cfg will do it?

Though I'll note this is also somewhat awkward -- for instance, looking
at buildtools,I think some of those commands should be globally
installed, and some shouldn't.  But changing that means refactoring the
commands into two distributions; inter-distribution refactoring feels
very heavy to me, especially for something I'd consider a UI adjustment.