[Distutils] SQLObject and Python 2.2

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Aug 24 18:05:44 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 10:16 AM 8/24/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, Ian. Have we stopped supporting Python 2.2?
>>> $ python2.2 setup.py install -O2
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "setup.py", line 2, in ?
>>>     use_setuptools()
>>>   File "ez_setup/__init__.py", line 66, in use_setuptools
>>>     egg = download_setuptools(version, download_base, to_dir)
>>>   File "ez_setup/__init__.py", line 100, in download_setuptools
>>>     from distutils import log
>>> ImportError: cannot import name log
>>

>> No, not really (though I admit I don't test it frequently).  ez_setup
>> comes from setuptools -- Phillip, should 2.2 be supported?  SQLObject
>> is bringing ez_setup in as an external.
>

> Sorry; I've moved on from 2.2, even if Google hasn't.  If you want to
> provide backward compatibility patches, I'll certainly look at them, but
> I can't guarantee not to accidentally break them in some future release.

Well, it's broken in a couple ways.  One is that a setuptools egg for
py2.2 doesn't exist.

But anyway, I've attached a patch that fixes two problems I've
encountered in ez_setup.py -- distutils.log, and tempfile.mkdtemp (doing
crude clones of both).  I don't know what issues setuptools itself might
still have.  This doesn't make it functional, but I guess it's closer.