[Distutils] py2exe and eggs

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Aug 16 16:47:12 CEST 2005

At 09:28 AM 8/16/2005 -0400, Jay Parlar wrote:
>Any solutions to this? I don't mind a solution that requires me to add
>something to setup.py that can automatically find any of the eggs I
>use, but I'd really like to avoid adding something to setup.py for
>*each* egg I use.

The require() function returns a list of all the distributions needed to
satisfy the dependency or dependencies you gave it -- including recursive
dependencies, even ones that were already on sys.path.  Distributions have
a 'location' attribute that's their full filesystem path.  And, they have a
'top_level.txt' metadata file (.get_metadata_lines('top_level.txt')) that
lists the top-level module or package names exposed by that distribution.

Dunno if that helps you sufficiently or not.  I personally would love to
see py2exe and py2app morph into distutils extensions using entry points to
add their commands and setup() arguments, because then there'd be a minimum
of monkeypatches dueling for control of the distutils.  :)