[Distutils] easy_install: link detection

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Aug 15 03:38:31 CEST 2005

easy_install doesn't work automatically with elementtree, because its
download link leads to an interstitial HTML page.  So I thought I'd add
the proper link to an index I'm keeping:
   http://effbot.org/downloads/elementtree-1.2.6-20050316.zip

But easy_install ignores it.  It looks fine to me?

Also, if I want to require a package that isn't locatable through PyPI,
how should I deal with that?  I can add a find_links value to setup.cfg,
then put the link there.  It'd be easier if I could put a URL to the
package somewhere.  Or I guess if I could have a sort of local index.
But if I put "./docs/packages.html" as a find_links value, easy_install
can't find that.  So, what's the best way to deal with that?  I'm okay
with the index page myself, but I think other people may not want to
maintain such a thing.  (I'm thinking of writing a little app to create
a index for broken PyPI entries, but that's another topic.)

And lastly on this topic, what should I do when it's likely a package
will be installed without setuptools/easy_install?  For something like
ElementTree there are lots of packages (RPM, deb, etc) that install the
package; I can't really ask people to uninstall those and install the
egg version.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org