[Distutils] bdist_rpm and bdist on x86-64

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Apr 20 10:39:24 CEST 2005

Mihai Ibanescu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 02:55:03PM +0100, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:
>>

>>>I believe you can get away without patching anything, if you do:
>>>

>>>from distutils import sysconfig
>>
>>>print sysconfig.get_python_lib()
>>>
>>>to which you either pass plat_specific = 0 or 1. This will properly
>>>parse the right Makefile (which is probably what you ended up doing).
>>
>>The problem is that this doesn't find the Makefile if you use the
>>unpatched distutils on Fedora on x86_64. Fedora patches distutils to look
>>in lib64. The unpatched distutils looks in lib, and never finds it.
>

> Sorry if I missed it from previous e-mails. Why don't you use Fedora's patched
> distutils then? :-)

I wonder why Linux distros always have to make things more
complicated by patching code in the standard lib or using
non-standard compile time options...

>>It would be nice if Python knew where its Makefile was.

Jeremy, didn't you get my last posting ? It is rather easy
to find the Makefile since the config/ dir is stored in the
same place as the rest of the Python std lib (provided the
distros didn't munge that fact as well, like e.g. some
which remove distutils from the std lib <grumble>).

> Python does, if it's in the standard location. /usr/lib64 was not necessarily
> something that worked well for Python, at least not from the very beginning,
> and that's because there is a prefix and an exec_prefix, and then an unpatched
> python will just slap a lib after that. If multilib were developed to use a
> totally different prefix than /usr (like /usr64), it would definitely have
> been easier.
>
> That, or I am missing the obvious fixes :-)

I think that Linux distros should approach the Python
developers first before fiddling around with Python
internals. We would come up with a solution that
works for everybody, not just distro XYZ users.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 20 2005)