[Distutils] Installing large applications

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jun 17 13:21:43 EDT 2004

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> So, in summary, an application might add multiple librariy areas. The
>> application *is*
>> responsible for adding these to sys,path on startup.
>

> Fully agree on that one :-)
>
> This is not a distutils problem, but an application specific one.

The adding of paths to sys.path is not a distutils problem.

The support for installing into separate application areas *is* a distutils
problem.  At a minimum, we need to be able to get the windows installer
to prompt for a location.  There are probably implications for other
platforms, like making rpms relocatable.  I would like distutils to support
an application-installation model, in addition to a library installation model.

Jim