[Distutils] Installing scripts

Mark W. Alexander slash at dotnetslash.net
Thu Jun 10 14:41:30 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:01:29PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing about how others are handling this issue for
> software that's intended to work on both Unix and Windows.  Is there a better
> approach?  I'd love to find a better way to support end-user expectations
> across platforms, especially if it could involve less magic in the setup.py
> script.

my $.02...

I can't speak to cross-platform issues, but isn't this a behavior that
should be handled transparently by the appropriate bdist_* and, maybe,
the install, commands?  bdist_[unices] can strip the extension and
install in the appropriate system directory while bdist_[windowses]
could setup an application directory in "Program Files".

The setup.py script should be oblivious of such details, and package
authors shouldn't have to concern themselves about what platforms their
packages might be used on (outside the obvious - packages that use win32
specifics, etc.).

mwa
--
Mark W. Alexander
slash at dotnetslash.net

The contents of this message authored by Mark W. Alexander are
released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license.
Copyright of quoted materials are retained by the original author(s).