[Distutils] Manifests

René Liebscher R.Liebscher at gmx.de
Wed Jan 21 09:43:22 EST 2004

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 10:21, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> > Jeremy Hylton writes:
> >  > I think the MANIFEST.in language is a little odd and poorly documented,
> >  > but I don't know that it would be any better if I had to write Python
> >  > code to achieve the same effect.  Here's a MANIFEST.in for a project I
>
> > I think a lot of milage could be had if there were a way to specify
> > additional file extensions that should be copied as part of packages
> > along with .py files.  The would certainly be a reasonable 80%
> > solution for the packages for which I work on the setup.py files.
>
> Good point!  If we could have that option work for a bunch of commands,
> it would help.

> We also suffer to get data files copied into
> site-packages along with their modules.  If you could just say .xml
> files in my modules should get installed just like .py files, life would
> be much simpler.

This is not a problem by writing an own sub class of install_data.
Much better however would be to have such functionality in one of the
next versions of distutils by default. My first try to extend distutils
in this way was June 2000. (see also
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/distutils-sig/587620 )
Some improved version of this script does its job in PyOpenGL (
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pyopengl/PyOpenGL2/setup/my_install_data.py
) and PyXML (
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pyxml/xml/setupext/install_data.py
) for years now.
May be it is time to replace distutils install_data with this. (It
accepts old parameter lists.)

> Jeremy

Kind regards
Rene Liebscher