[Distutils] Changes in RPM affecting Distutils

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Oct 28 10:51:20 EST 2003

amk at amk.ca writes:
 > It would be possible to backport (well, copy really) the current Distutils
 > tree to the various -maint branches, but it would be a lot of work.  You

Why would dropping the current code onto the maintenance branches be a
lot of work?  It shouldn't be more than (maybe) some "cvs add"s and a
commit.

 > Well, we need to come to some decision on this, but it's not clear how.
 > Should we ask Guido, or python-dev, or the PBF?  Should we vote on it?

I suspect it's really up to whoever does the work (including testing).

 > If it's up to the Distutils maintainer -- and I'm probably the closest
 > approximation at this time -- then I would say 2.0; MAL's arguments are
 > convincing to me, even though personally I'd find 2.3 more convenient.

I'd be glad to see it support back to 2.0, however tedious writing
code may be at times.  Most of the tedium is a matter of remembering
what we didn't have back then!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>