[Distutils] Installing scripts to multiple directories

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Thu Mar 13 12:15:02 2003

Harald Meland <Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how I can make distutils support installation
> of scripts to more than one directory, e.g. both <prefix>/bin/ and
> <prefix>/sbin/.
>
> I've found an open bug[1] on this in the Python project on
> SourceForge, but it's now over a year since the person that bug is
> assigned to said that he would "look at this".

That would have been me.  I've unassigned it from myself, which I
guess isn't progress... but is realistic, I'm afraid.

> I started by looking through the documentation, but could not find any
> info on how to extend distutils.  Hence, I had a look at how distutils
> is currently implemented, but I'm still not sure how one is meant to
> *properly* extend the "install*" feature set.

I think that any way that works is more or less the proper way.

The distutils are a thing of wonder, but the code isn't the easiest to
understand in the world.

Cheers,
M.

--
  If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them
  down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.