[Distutils] Re: swig 1.3.x

Berthold Höllmann bhoel@web.de
Fri Jan 3 07:50:02 2003

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> Keith Jackson wrote:
> > M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Isn't there a way to tell the SWIG version by calling swig itself ?
> I think distutils should figure this one out by itself.

There is of course a way to get the swig version:

~/ [1]>/usr/bin/swig -version

SWIG Version 1.3.13u-20020910-1829
Copyright (c) 1995-1998
University of Utah and the Regents of the University of California
Copyright (c) 1998-2001
University of Chicago

Compiled with CC
~/ [1]>/usr/local/bin/swig -version

SWIG Version 1.1 (Build 786)
Copyright (c) 1995-98
University of Utah and the Regents of the University of California

Compiled with g++

> Alas, the program you're compiling probably is bound to a specific SWIG
> version anyway, so maybe we need a helper which people can call
> in their setup.py files to check, e.g. swig_version().

Maybe there should also be a way to select a special swig executable
like "--swig=swig1.1" to be able to have several swig exectables at
the same time, and switch to another version if needed. The
alternative would be to have several "swig"s and to fiddle with the
PATH, but an option would probably be easier for some OSs.

Greetings
Berthold
--
bhoel@web.de / http://starship.python.net/crew/bhoel/
        It is unlawful to use this email address for unsolicited ads