[Distutils] lineendings

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Tue Oct 15 16:59:12 2002

> Of course, the right solution would be getting a decent
> text editor ;-)

No, it wouldn't.  We have decent editors.  But we ship
code to people maintaining Unix systems, who should
neither know nor care if it is Java or Python or Algol.
If they have to edit some config file in VI when logged
into a remote server, it's just wrong to ship it full of
^M thingies; someone actually phoned me and asked if it was
safe to promote!  At the same time I would quite like the
freedom to make a package on my Windows machine, or even
on a Mac. (BTW, does OS/X have Unix line endings?)

I think the right solution is "a few subclasses" and one
day some options in distutils to set this if you choose
to.  Distutils knows which files are source, tar and zip
cannot be expected to.

Putting it in perspective:  we had a quiet day and all
decided to learn distutils, so we may ask some pretty
dumb things before we grasp its inner beauty, elegance
and fundamental rightness  ;-)

- Andy