[Distutils] suggestions for distutil

Philippe FREMY P.FREMY@OBERTHURCS.com
Wed Oct 9 03:45:01 2002

	Hi,

I am using Python 2.2 from active state, windows 2k but this is a generic
problem.

I like distutils, it is a very good tools but I have some suggestions:

- data_files are copied directly to the python lib directory while python
modules are copied in site-packages.
I would find more logical to copy data file also in site-packages, so that
all your product data is available in one place in the python directory.

I imagine it is not possible to break the existing behaviour. But it is
probably possible to specify in the doc that is is best to copy to
'Lib/site-packages/...'

- the documentation says how to install data file but not how to use them
from inside a python module. How do I fetch my data files ?

- the syntax to use with scripts files is not given in the documentation. I
am speaking about the chapter "3.4 Listing scripts"

- I would like my module to be compiled/installed with optimisation by
default. Is it possible ?

- python setup.py --help lists many options (--license, --long-description,
...) which are not described in the documentation. I suggest to add a list
of all supported keywords arguments with their meaning.

- how do I uninstall ? 'python setup.py uninstall' does not work.

- the user that just downloads a python program and want to install it will
probably run 'python setup.py'. The help
doesn't give any hint on how to install the stuff. The second command
'python setup.py --help' still doesn't give any hint about how to install.
This is only after a third step that the help mention the work install for
the first time. After a fourth command, the guy is able to install the
packages. For such a common and easy thing as simply running the installer,
it should be simpler than that. I suggest to add a "To install this package,
type 'python setup.py install'" at the end of the standard help of 'python
setup.py'. This would certainly help many users.

	regards,

	Philippe