[Distutils] I think I need more detail in the build directory

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sat Nov 16 19:42:01 2002

Folks,
I think I need more details in the filenames (the temp. and lib. ones)
in the build directory.

On MacOSX there are two ways to build Python: in the traditional unix
way (statically linked, prefix is usually /usr or /usr/local) or in the
all-singing-all-dancing framework way (dynamically linked with extra
bells and whistles, the python installation deep down in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/etcetcetc, with a symlink "python"
usually in /usr/local/bin). Extension modules for these two Pythons are
incompatible, but unfortunately they don't realise that, and things may
even sort-of work some of the time.

Note that this problem has really existed all along, and on all
platforms (try building a module with a refcount-debug python, and then
doing a setup install with a non-refcount-debug python for a nasty
surprise), but for MacOSX it may now become an end-user problem, since
Apple ships Python in Jaguar and this is a static python, but to get
access to the MacPython goodies people will download a source
distribution and build a framework python.

I have an idea on a solution to this, but I'm not sure whether it's
feasible (and correct:-):
1. Encode features that make a python interpreter and a module
incompatible in PYTHON_API_VERSION. We have about 20 bits left in
there. This would however require convincing the core developers.
2. Use PYTHON_API_VERSION in stead of the "2.3" style version in the
distutils filenames.

Comments?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -