[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] Killing off bdist_dumb

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sat Nov 16 19:22:01 2002

On vrijdag, nov 15, 2002, at 16:38 Europe/Amsterdam, Andrew Kuchling
wrote:

> On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 10:11 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Funny; I would have expected that bdist is a no-op.
>
> Presumably Greg's original goal was that running bdist would run
> the right builder for your platform: bdist_rpm on Red Hat,
> bdist_wininst on Windows, etc.  It would be nice to make that work
> correctly.

Is this a good idea? Wouldn't it lead naive distributors to think that
once they've done "setup.py bdist" their work is done without realizing
they've left 90% of the world out in the cold?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -