[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] Killing off bdist_dumb

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri Nov 15 10:14:09 2002

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> mal wrote:
>

>>>if you decide to keep it in there, can you at least fix the
>>>help text:
>>>
>>>  bdist            create a built (binary) distribution
>>
>>Hmm, I wonder why bdist is mentioned here: it's the base
>>class driving all the other sub-commands. bdist doesn't
>>do anything on its own.
>

> have you tried it?

No, I read the code... looks like these attributes make bdist_dumb
the default sub-command to run when no other command is specified:

     # This won't do in reality: will need to distinguish RPM-ish Linux,
     # Debian-ish Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, ..., Windows, Mac OS.
     default_format = { 'posix': 'gztar',
                        'nt': 'zip',
                        'os2': 'zip', }

      # And the real information.
     format_command = { 'rpm':   ('bdist_rpm',  "RPM distribution"),
                        'zip':   ('bdist_dumb', "ZIP file"),
                        'gztar': ('bdist_dumb', "gzip'ed tar file"),
                        'bztar': ('bdist_dumb', "bzip2'ed tar file"),
                        'ztar':  ('bdist_dumb', "compressed tar file"),
                        'tar':   ('bdist_dumb', "tar file"),
                        'wininst': ('bdist_wininst',
                                    "Windows executable installer"),
                        'zip':   ('bdist_dumb', "ZIP file"),
                        #'pkgtool': ('bdist_pkgtool',
                        #            "Solaris pkgtool distribution"),
                        #'sdux':  ('bdist_sdux', "HP-UX swinstall depot"),
                       }

Funny; I would have expected that bdist is a no-op.

> on the 2.2 unix install I have here, it builds a tar archive.  from what
> I can tell, it's actually running the same code as bdist_dumb...
>

>> From the doc-string:
>>
>>  create a "dumb" built distribution -- i.e., just an archive
>>  to be unpacked under $prefix or $exec_prefix.
>

> which isn't true, obviously, since the archive contains absolute
> paths...

Right.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg