[Distutils] updated SF patch

Pearu Peterson pearu@cens.ioc.ee
Wed Jun 5 12:09:02 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   PP> However, I don't know what kind of changes are you planning and
>   PP> therefore I am not sure if they would have any impact to
>   PP> scipy_distutils.
>
> I had specifically wondered about all the verbose arguments passed to
> distutils functions and the announce() method on some objects.  I just
> checked in some changes that effectively ignores the verbose argument,
> and I wondered if it needed to be preserved at all.  I see that the
> scipy_distutils passes the verbose argument to several functions, so
> removal of it would affect you.

I took a look on your patch and I think as a first step we (in scipy) can
remove the usage of verbose arguments from scipy_distutils and start using
log facilities so that scipy_distutils would still work with distutils
from Python 2.1 and 2.2. And after that, scipy_distutils should be immune
to your changes in distutils from Python 2.3.

BTW, can Python 2.1,2.2 users later upgrade their distutils or is
distutils now inseparable part of the latest Python version?
In scipy_distutils we would like to avoid dublicating code with the
standard distutils but still support Python versions starting from 2.1.

>   PP> What is the definition of handful people? Do you count extension
>   PP> developers or the users of these extensions? If the later, one
>   PP> would really need lots of hands when considering the current
>   PP> user base of SciPy alone (to give some idea, currently there are
>   PP> more than 100 subscribers to the scipy users mailing list formed
>   PP> in less than one year).
>
> I think we would have to consider the users of the extensions, too.
> (But if you're the only one, we can figure something out <wink>.)

(I guess by "...figure something out" you mean the possbile changes to
scipy_distutils that I mentioned above.
But I don't get this <winking>, I see it a lot in various python
lists but still not sure about its meaning, is it good or bad, or
something else. <wink, whatever it means>
)

Regards,
	Pearu