[Distutils] Bug/patch question, WinNT, Borland C linker, spaces in paths

Mark W. Alexander slash@dotnetslash.net
Tue Dec 3 11:19:01 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Rafal Dowgird wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > There  is  a  bug in distutils that breaks Borland C linker. Distutils
> > tries to pass search paths to the linker as
> > "/LD:/Program Files/samplepath"
>
> Are you sure that it's worth adding quoting support for paths
> with embedded spaces to distutils is worth the effort ?
>
> I know that spaces in paths of executables and DLLs cause
> endless problems on Windows and most of these can easily be
> avoided by installing program files to a non-space-containing
> path location on the disk.

Having battled spaces in user filenames constantly. I have concedeed
that no matter how much I despise them, it's better to code assuming
that there will _always_ be a space some where in the path. IMHO, it
needs to be treated like a user input problem. Whether you want it to
happen or not, it will, so code for it.

mwa