[Distutils] bdist_wininst: post-installation changes?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon Apr 29 12:04:05 2002

Steven Knight wrote:

> I don't think this is supported, but I just want to make sure...
>
> Is there any way, in the generated Win32 installer, to have it perform
> some arbitrary post-installation editing?

Yes. Thomas Heller has checked in an update of the installer
which supports this. You have to get it from CVS, though.

> To cover Win9x systems, I'd like to install a .bat file in C:\PythonXX\
> using the Bruce Eckel preamble from the Python FAQ:
>
>     @echo off
>     rem = """
>     rem run python on this bat file. Needs the full path where
>     rem you keep your python files. The -x causes python to skip
>     rem the first line of the file:
>     python -x c:\aaa\Python\\"%0".bat %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
>     goto endofpython
>     rem """
>
>     # The python program goes here:
>
> The problem is that the "%0" expansion needs the full path name to where
> the .bat file is installed (C:\PythonXX\), and that's not known until
> the installer runs and consults the registry to find out where Python is
> located.
>
> Is there anything I can have the installer do to accomodate this?  A
> quick glance at the code didn't turn up anything (but it *was* very
> quick... :-).

No idea, I guess you'll have to look just a bit closer ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH