[Distutils] Re: PEP 262: Database of Installed Python Packages

Mark W. Alexander slash@dotnetslash.net
Tue Apr 9 15:15:08 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 05:42:30PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >Also +1 on adding more bdist_* package support e.g. bdist_deb
> >and an extended version of bdist_rpm to accomodate specific
> >settings for various RPM-based distros (if needed).
>
> Ironically bdist_deb is the most significant missing format;
> apparently it's really difficult to automatically build the right
> control file.  (I don't remember the details; someone interested in
> taking this on should consult the distutil-sig archives.)

There's always the functional and completely assinine method of
wrapping bdist_rpm with a call to alien. I've considered bdist_deb,
but frankly alien has served my needs well enough for the few Debian
boxes I have.....
           ( ^
             |____ obligitory dots to comply with amk's sig.
                   Guess which category this proposal falls in)

I simply don't have the time for the "right" way, but if an alien
wrapper is an acceptable intermediate step, I'll take it on.

> --amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
> Dots [...]: Small marks variously made to indicate infinity,
> hesitation, duplication, or lack of imagination.
>     -- Peter Greenaway, _Rosa: The Death of a Composer_

mwa