[Distutils] Final PEP 241 patch

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Sat Mar 24 03:21:01 2001

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 10:13:27PM -0500, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>   * When the 'platforms' argument isn't specified, the option will be
>set to ['UNKNOWN'], not an empty list.  Is that OK?  The keywords

Yeah, I think that'll be fine.

>   * 'Author' in the metadata comes from the maintainer fields, my
>argument here being that, if they're different, the catalog is only
>interested in who maintains the package *now*, not whoever wrote it
>originally.  Is that OK?  Adding a maintainer field to the metadata,
>thus preserving the author/maintainer division, would be trivial.
>I'll bow to cataloguers; if it would be useful, let me know and I'll
>add it.

Well, the question is: What is the intended use for this field?  I don't
really see much use for this in the catalog.  I don't imagine we'll be
sending e-mail to the author or maintainer.  The only case I can imagine
where it would be passable would be if we got a binary uploaded we could
notify the author.  That doesn't REALLY seem like a feature to me though.

Sean
--
 A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human
 history -- with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.